Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is important because it helps potential customers find your company when using search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Bing, and Ask. Below we include the top 10 SEO tips that will help improve your chances of being found on search engines.
1. Create High Quality Content - before you create high quality content you need to identify the type of people you want to visit your site. Google Trends can help you explore keywords and trends your target might be searching.
Then you should proceed to create content for your users and not for Search engines. If your website contains useful information, this will attract visitors and entice other sites to link to your content. Google Friendly Pages provides some great suggestions on this topic.
Furthermore, make sure you Develop Webpages Focused on Each of your Target topics. Develop several pages on your site, each of which is focused on a target keyword or keyphrase for which you would like a high ranking. Let’s say you sell iPhones. In this case: write a separate webpage featuring the keyword “iPhone 6“, “iPhone 6s“, etc. You’ll write a completely different article on each topic. You can’t fully optimize all the webpages in your site, but for each of these focused-content webpages, spend lots of time tweaking to improve its ranking.
2. Create a site that is multi device friendly: In today’s mobile world it is imperative that your site works smoothly on tablets, phones, laptops and desktops. One of the best ways to create a site for multiple devices and screens is with a responsive web design. A responsive web design automatically detects the resolution of the device and adjusts the layout of your website to match that of the screen. Google mobile SEO tools helps developers ensure your site is ready for todays mobile platforms.
3. Follow Google webmaster guidelines - this ensures your site provides a good user experience and adds value to the user. This will increase your probabilities of being found by potential customers when using search engines.
4. Optimize your website code and speed - It is important that your website is optimized to respond from different devices. Also that your website loads fast and without errors. One great tool to test you site is Google Developers PageSpeed tool.
5. Use Unique Tags for each page - This includes Page title tags, meta description tags, and ALT tags for your images. In some occasions search engines use tags to generate the results of their search engine. Note: Keyword tags are no longer used.
The Page title tag is a one liner that accurately describes what the page is about. The meta description on the other hand, is a 160 character or less explanation of what the page is about. If the search engine uses the meta description, it would show below your hyperlinked title in the search results. Google provides some good info @ Page titles and snippets and Meta Tags.
6. Write better Anchor text - Anchor text is the clickable text that users will see as a result of a link, and is placed within the anchor tag <a href=”…”></a>.
In other words use Keywords in your Hyperlinks. Search engines are looking for clues to the focus of your webpage. When they see words hyperlinked in your body text, they consider these potentially important, so hyperlink your important keywords and keyphrases. To emphasize it even more, the webpage you are linking to could have a page name with the keyword or keyphrase, such as 32GB-iPhone.htm — another clue for the search engine.
You can also create a Site Map. A site map page with links to all your pages can help search engines (and visitors) find all your pages, particularly if you have a larger site.
8. Write Articles for Others to Use in Websites and Newsletters. You can dramatically increase your visibility when you write articles in your area of expertise and distribute them to editors as free content for their e-mail newsletters or their websites. Just ask that a link to your website and a one-line description of what you offer be included with the article. This is an effective “viral” approach that can produce hundreds of links to your site over time. You’ll find lots of information on how to do this from the most popular article marketing site, EzineArticles.com. When you create a free membership account, they begin sending you instructions and ideas each week.
9. Begin a Business Blog. Want links to your site? Begin a business blog on your website, hosted on your own domain. If you offer excellent content and regular industry comment, people are likely to link to it, increasing your site’s PageRank. Consistency and having something to say are key.
10. Become Part of the Social Media Community. You should be aware of four types of social media: (1) blogs, (2) social networking sites, (3) social bookmarking sites, and (4) forums. Don’t be upset if the distinctions between types of social media tend to blur. Social media help promote your site by sending direct traffic, producing links to your site, and generating awareness. Some of the best online communities for business include Facebook (www.facebook.com), LinkedIn (www.linkedin.com), and Twitter (www.twitter.com). In addition, you may want to participate in a social bookmarking community in which members share with each other information about websites, articles, or news items that they like (or don’t like). These include Digg (www.digg.com), Delicious (www.delicious.com), StumbleUpon (www.stumbleupon.com), and Google Bookmarks (www.google.com/bookmarks/). Search engine spiders troll these sites looking for links to something new and relevant. You can usually place a link to your website in your profile, but the biggest gain comes when other people mention you (which generates traffic to your site), link to you (which increases your PageRank and brings traffic), or bookmark you. One important reminder, don’t join a community to spam them or talk incessantly about your business. Like any community you must listen, comment, and make a genuine contribution for the good of others. Don’t hog the conversation. Otherwise, your self-serving links and comments will hurt your reputation.